Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I Can't Accept Defeat....but I Understand It

3F1's


Today I received news that all artist dread hearing. Recently I submitted my EPK, Electronic Press Kit, to an online Radio Station for consideration for airplay.

The advertisement read

"ShadesRadio.com is the platform for original Hip-hop style talk, music and culture. At the same time, it is an edutainment source through which they cultivate an appreciation for music in general. The station focuses on Hip-hop and the music that influenced it, but they also set aside broadcast time for non-Hip-hop based genres geared towards Hip-hop lovers.

The station interviews, live shows and panel discussions. They are currently accepting Hip-hop song submissions, as well as Soul, R&B, Funk and Alternative Rock for other programming. Please note that they are interested in old-school Hip-hop sounds, not gangsta or dance. Lyrical artists and Christian rappers are encouraged to submit, especially artists along the lines of Run-DMC, Common, Little Brother, Slum Village, Rakim, etc. "



The advertisement sounded like something that was feasible for me to be accepted. I like the fact that the station focused on lyrics and substances vs. swagger and gimmicks. So I submitted my song "Thoughts Lyrics and Music" off of my next project Welcome To Myspace Vol2 :Thoughts and Lyrics. Do to the fact that lyrics and substance are selling points for this station my management and I felt that Thoughts Lyrics and Music would have been the best song to submit. Well after the reviewing process was completed my management team notified me that I wasn't selected--bummer!!!!

I wasn't mad or anything of that nature, because if it was meant to happen it would have. The biggest thing that I have learned throughout this grinding process of recording,peforming, and searching for media outlets, you learn to understand that there are going to be speed bumps along the way.

Notice I said understand not ACCEPT!!!! Please, don't think that I am totally cool with not being selected!!! This "setback" lets me know that a couple of things:

1:) Work harder as well as Smarter
2:) A bigger opportunity is out there with name on it!! ( This just may be a blessing in disguise!)


I am writing this story for all aspiring artist out there in my boat. I understand your pain. Sometime the grind seems like a treadmill!! Your running in place, but your not moving. Please don't be discouraged!! Keep grinding. Remember you have to have "Drive like a Trucker" if you want to get somewhere in this buisness!!!


Dubbs Lane
"It Fresh Air"

No comments: